PLAYlab is a developmental platform at Esplanade – Theatres on the Bay, targeting budding artists or collectives interested in Theatre for Young Audiences (TYA) for ages three to six years old. PLAYlab aims to provide opportunities for research and development in the creation of new TYA productions at the centre.
The PLAYlab team invites artists to submit their ideas for exploration. These ideas can be in the form of a short proposal that will be an Expression of Interest (EOI) to be part of the PLAYlab platform. Shortlisted ideas will be supported through opportunities for critical feedback, an honorarium and a work-in-progress showcase. These ideas may also have the potential to be further developed thereafter for Esplanade's various platforms.
We invite artists to consider the following questions when working on their PLAYlab EOI which is based off the Open Call Selection Criteria:
1. What are some important topics and issues that can be presented to children, through the arts? How is your work suitable for children in terms of addressing their developmental milestones between three to six years old?
2. How does your work incorporate artistic quality and creativity? How is your work original?
3. What are some innovative and sustainable practices that can be incorporated in your work based on the research that you have done on current TYA practices?
4. How can your process provide opportunities for capability development for the members of your team?
5. How does your work contribute to creating a safe and accessible space that is inclusive to a diverse range of children?
Details for submission
You may choose to submit your EOI as an individual or as a collective. You are encouraged to articulate the topic(s) and process(es) that you hope to explore in PLAYlab. These submissions are an opportunity to critically engage with the topic. Please refer to the PLAYlab Open Call Selection Criteria (on the website) for information on the evaluation criteria. Late submissions will not be entertained.
The following should be included in your EOI:
1. Personal Information – Name, age, contact number
2. Short biography of yourself / your collective
3. Description of Proposed Idea: to include mood boards, articles, research and approaches
5. Detailed Budget
Artists or arts collectives will receive the following support to develop their PLAYlab idea:
1. Up to a maximum of SGD 2,500 for artist fees
2. Up to a maximum of SGD 1,000 for pre-production costs
3. Up to 30 hours of rehearsal venue support subject to schedule and venue availability
4. Showcase platform at the Esplanade
5. Critical feedback from audience and fellow practitioners and educators in the form of feedback, surveys and Q&A session
Furthermore, there will be two briefing sessions held online for artists or arts collectives who require more support, or are in need of clarifications on what is required of their EOIs.
Session 1: 31 Aug, 5 - 6pm
Session 2: 7 Sep, 5 - 6pm
Pls see below more detailed schedule for PLAYlab:
Timeline Event Remarks
31 October :Deadline for Submissions All EOIs will be assessed based on the rubrics attached.
31 November: Notification of selected proposals All groups will be notified via email.
1 December 2021 – February 2022: Process Work This process will be dependent on the EOI. Teams will meet with the PLAYlab team to refine their workplans if needed. Teams are expected to incorporate testing, devising, research and experimentation.
11 – 13 March 2022: Showcase during March On!
Festival The showcase will consist of separate sessions: one for parents/caregivers and their children, one for adult practitioners and peers. Feedback will be collated for sharing with the teams.
11 April 2022: Presentation by Groups on Process Insights Groups will be expected to present their process and insights for the benefit of other practitioners and for better practices.
Submission deadline: 31 October 2021, Sunday 2359hr
Submit via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org, Attn: The PLAYlab Team, The Esplanade Co Ltd