Back of the BusOrganised by: National Arts Council
Performed by: Java Dance Theatre, Adele Goh, Sabrina Sng, Syafiqah 'Adha
Ride on a bus through the streets and sights of Bukit Panjang! Dancers propel themselves along the aisles and hang from the ceiling. Physical comedy, pure kinetic energy and outrageous scenarios combine to create a magical mystery tour of the unexpected. First performed in 2008, this unique dance theatre show now premieres in Singapore following sell-out seasons at over 21 arts festivals including the renowned Edinburgh Festival Fringe in 2014, 2016 and 2019.
Created by Java Dance Theatre (New Zealand) and performed with Singapore artists Adele Goh, Sabrina Sng and Syafiqah 'Adha, Back of the Bus takes you on a journey around Bukit Panjang and you may never look at a bus ride the same way again.
Come board this dancing bus!
About the Artists:
Founded by choreographer Sacha Copland in 2003, Java Dance Theatre captures audiences in New Zealand and Internationally with visceral dance theatre that clambers into the senses and speaks to the soul. Java's innovative style of dance theatre is known for its intense physicality, sensory engagement and full audience immersion. Java has created 20 works to date, performing to over 100,000 audiences in New Zealand, Australia, Asia and the UK. In 2019, Java's 22nd season of its most acclaimed work Back of the Bus again sold out 42 shows at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe, the world's largest arts festival. Website: www.javadancecompany.co.nz
Adele Goh is an independent dance artist, performer and maker and was previously a company artist at Frontier Danceland.
Sabrina Sng is a performer and performance maker from Singapore. She studied experimental theatre at NYU Tisch School of the Arts.
Syafiqah 'Adha is an award-winning Singaporean musician and composer who graduated from Yong Siew Toh Conservatory of Music in Music Composition.
· This performance involves audience participation and some walking. Baggage storage is not available so you may wish to travel light and wear comfortable shoes and clothing. Duration of performance: approx 60min.
· Suitable for ages 5 and up. Tickets are required for children. Each ticket admits one only.
· Meeting point is at Family Seating Corner at Bukit Panjang Hawker Centre (2 Bukit Panjang Ring Rd, Singapore 679947). Please arrive at least 15 minutes before the performance commences for registration and temperature screening measures.
· No admission for latecomers and no refunds will be given.
· In the event of strong inclement weather, a decision will be made by the organisers to either proceed, delay or postpone this performance. Refunds will only be issued in the event of a cancelation.
· If you have any special needs or access requirements for this performance, please contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
· Attendees will be contacted via the Peatix app or email for further information.
Choreographer: Sacha Copland
Dancers: Sacha Copland, Lauren Carr and Adele Goh
Host & Performer: Sabrina Sng
Musician: Syafiqah 'Adha
Executive Producer: Hoo Kuan Cien
Producer: Pearlyn Chua
Production Manager: Yun Ying Foo
Project Assistant: Ho Jun Chong (Jaycee)
Making Performance in Public Spaces
A commission for Arts in Your Neighbourhood March 2020!
Arts in Your Neighbourhood is a programme by the National Arts Council Singapore. Our main seasons take place in March and November every year. A month-long series of engaging and fun arts activities, it aims to provide enriching arts experiences right to your doorstep. The Arts in Your Neighbourhood comprises a suite of quality arts programmes – performed and facilitated by established artists and arts groups – at various locations throughout the island. Visit https://artsforall.sg/AYN to view the other exciting programmes and for more information.
Supported by Creative New Zealand