TranslateSingapore marks its third year as we transform this September into "SG Translation Month". Featuring over 30 local and international speakers, as well as more than 20 programmes spread over four weekends, the festival celebrates our rich linguistic diversity and all things intercultural. It will come to a close on 30 Sep, otherwise known as International Translation Day.
Based on the theme of what can be Gained in Translation, the festival's highlights include:
- the A Tale of Two Languages lectures, in which world-renowned language expert David Moser and award-winning writer Mohamed Latiff Mohamed offer critical insights into the Chinese and Malay languages respectively;
- our Comics and Translation Forum, which takes an unprecedented look at how the popular medium of comics can further intercultural dialogue and understanding;
- the launch of Select's first publication, Living in Babel, a showcase of some of the best new English translations of SingLit, as well as a new online literary magazine, Canopyonline.org;
- a dramatised reading of local children's picture book The Blue Forest in three languages – Chinese, Malay, and Tamil;
- and many other highlights, such as comics translation workshops (translating manga, bandes dessinées, Asterix); the back-by-popular-demand Let's Learn Our National Language class by writer/playwright Alfian Sa'at; and more!