The Straits Ensemble is calling for applications from emerging music composers for their inaugural Fellowship Programme, New Sights, to be held from February to August 2023.
New Sights is a Fellowship Programme designed for composers to create new intercultural work, with a focus on the process towards creation. Fellows will go through a rigorous programme of talks, performances, lectures, site visits and mentorship. They will then premiere their compositions with The Straits Ensemble and conclude the Fellowship by presenting what they have learnt at a public sharing platform.
About the Fellowship Programme:
The Fellowship Programme is an opportunity for fellows to:
● Explore and reflect on musical practices and concepts from different cultures prevalent in Singapore
● Apply new knowledge and realise compositional works via The Straits Ensemble
● Develop intercultural practice
● Widen and strengthen industry network
● Receive practice-led mentorship
● Expand the repertoire of The Straits Ensemble and to promote compositions from the Fellowship Programme on local and international platforms
New Sights is organised by The Straits Ensemble, supported by the National Arts Council, Tote Board Arts Fund and The Foundation for the Arts and Social Enterprise.