Literary Translation WorkshopOrganised by: CausewayEXchange & Singapore Book Council
Performed by: Shelly Bryant
A hybrid course for emerging literary translators, writers or poets interested in venturing into literary translation.
Jointly presented by the Singapore Book Council and Tender Leaves Translation, this Literary Translation Workshop will be presented in a hybrid format. It is a two-part programme of online video courses and a follow-up online workshop and session.
Engage in self-learning at your own pace with these easy-to-access and comprehensive online videos inclusive of audio transcriptions, helpful resources, and bonus materials! Participants also get to interact and start a discussion with other students who are enrolled in the different courses.
From 4 November 2022 (Online):
- Participants will get access to ALL online Tender Leaves courses for 2 months
- Over 4 weeks, participants are expected to complete 3 compulsory courses (total of 5 hours worth of video coursework) that will cover: what is literary translation, reading for translation, translating wordplay, freedom in translation, editing your translation and getting your translation published
- Participants to produce a work of literary translation from a text of their choice (any language translating into English) of up to 2,000 words of prose OR up to 10 pages of poetry by the 4th week, due 30 November 2022 at12.00 pm.
The video course modules will be presented by the Tender Leaves team of Shelly Bryant, Susie Gordon, and Miho Kinnas.
On 6 December 2022 (In-person):
- Participants will receive works by other participants to read and review
- Participants will have their works distributed to all participants for peer review
- Participants will receive individual professional feedback from Shelly Bryant